In cities crowded with traffic on the streets and avenues, motorcycles, due to their dimensions, allow you to quickly maneuver and get to your destination in the shortest possible time. A motorcycle is an emotion, drive, adrenaline. There is a proverb: “a car carries the body, and a motorcycle carries the soul”. This proverb well reflects the feeling of motorcycle riders while riding their iron horse. However, when it comes time to buy something more modern, the question of selling an old motorcycle arises.
Selling your motorcycle is not an easy task, because you need to take care of its pre-sale preparation, think over the points regarding communication with potential buyers, resolve the issue of payment, documents, etc. And then resolve transportation issues. Our site will help you with this. We are here to help you to compare vehicle shipping quotes from the best auto transport companies and save your time and money.
Motorcycle Sales Process: How to Get Started
A motorcycle is a very convenient and fast mode of transport, especially if you live in a big city or suburb. People who love speed and have managed to appreciate the advantages of such transport are unlikely to give it up. However, there are situations when an iron friend still has to be put up for sale – there are breakdowns that will interfere with its normal operation in the future, there is a desire to buy a more powerful “horse”, etc. No one wants to drag out the process, but selling a motorcycle is a rather difficult task that requires thorough preparation. The main steps are:
Where To Sell A Motorcycle?
We have already considered the algorithm of how to sell a motorcycle, now we will focus on where this can be done. When it comes to vintage and rare models, you can sell them at an exhibition or auction. If we are talking about ordinary motorcycles, then it would be the best way to sell a motorcycle on the Internet. Advertisements on the Internet are the most comfortable, convenient and also fast – the geography of the client’s search turns out to be as extensive as possible (this is especially important when it comes to specific models). However, you should be as careful as possible when making a transaction – there is a risk of falling for scammers.
You can place an advertisement for the sale of a motorcycle on such sites as:
Helpful Tips For Selling Your Motorcycle Online
1. Take beautiful photos of your motorcycle. Photos are the first thing that will attract the attention of potential buyers on the Internet. It is important to stand out from other ads and be remembered. If you put up an ad with low quality photos or bad angles, then even the most amazing motorcycle is unlikely to attract the attention of buyers viewing ads. You can use the services of a professional photographer (which is not necessary to save money) or just spend a little time and do everything yourself. In order for the photos to come out clear and bright, it is the best:
– take pictures of transport early in the morning or in the evening, when the sun is low and will not spoil the frame with yellowness, glare, etc.;
– place the transport on a plain background that will not distract and create a feeling of clutter in the photo. The best backdrop would be a gate, a brick wall, or an open field;
– It is better to take pictures many times and from different angles. And be sure not to forget about the close-ups of the seat, steering wheel, tank, wheels, headlights.
2. If you have agreed with the client on a personal meeting, then you need to prepare a motorcycle. Make sure the motorcycle is clean, check the transmission play and tire pressure, check the operation of gauges and indicators, etc. If you haven’t driven for a long time, start it. When meeting with a buyer, be friendly when talking to him. It is best to meet during the day with natural light and no rain. It is desirable that you have time for negotiations, so that you do not rush anywhere and can calmly talk about the motorcycle, talk about all its advantages.
Remember that if a potential buyer wants to meet you, then he is really interested in the bike. After negotiations, start the motorcycle and let the engine warm up. After a few minutes, give it a few soft, progressive throttle shifts so that the buyer can see that the engine is running smoothly. Ride it so that the client sees it in action, that it is on the move. It is important that the customer sees that the motorcycle rides well, the suspension is in good condition, the brakes are correct, etc. During communication, you should not be overly intrusive – this can scare the client away.
3. Accept payments only through secure platforms that offer you protection. Fake mobile deposits, fraudulent ACH transfers, intentional overpayments by money order or check, and chargebacks can be expensive and even result in the loss of your motorcycle. If the buyer still lives in your city and you plan to hand over the motorcycle for cash at a personal meeting, then you should carefully check the banknotes. After all, they can be fake.
4. If there is a proposed delivery of a motorcycle to another city or state, it is better to find a carrier yourself. On our website, you can get acquainted with various companies and recurring fraud schemes to protect yourself from loss and loss of property.
What Documents Do You Need To Sell A Motorcycle?
In order for the sale of vehicles to go smoothly and without excesses, you should consider all the details regarding the documentation of the transaction. The seller must have a number of documents, including:
Service History Records
The need to provide all records is not defined at the level of legislation (although the seller must warn the buyer about all the nuances in the operation of the motorcycle), but in the eyes of the buyer, the seller will cause more confidence. And the bike will look more attractive.
The owner must have ownership of the motorcycle that is not burdened by a loan, bond, etc. Only in this case, as a result of the sale and purchase transaction, the new owner will be able to obtain ownership and a license plate.
Bill of Sale
The bill of sale ensures the legal security of the buyer and seller. This document is essentially a sales contract that sets out the details of the purchase, the parties involved and the price of the sale.
Vehicle ID Number (VIN)
By looking at the VIN, the buyer can check if the motorcycle has been in an accident, its year, make and model.
What is the best place to sell motorcycle?
The fastest way to sell a motorcycle is online. There are many platforms for placing ads, in order to choose which one will be more suitable, you should carefully familiarize yourself with the features of each of them.
How long does it take to sell a motorcycle?
It is difficult to say right away, maybe a couple of days, maybe a couple of months. It all depends on the season, the motorcycle model, its condition and price, and, of course, the seller’s ability to communicate with potential customers.
Is it safe to sell a motorcycle online?
Of course, there are risks of such a sale, because the seller may encounter an unscrupulous buyer and forged documents, a fraudulent payment scheme for goods or their delivery. However, if you carefully analyze each step and pay attention to the details, then everything will be in order. In addition, selling a motorcycle via the Internet will be much faster.